Sunday 27 June, 5.0pm
Sustainable transport, yes. Silvertown tunnel, no (Click here for a flyer)
On-line discussion – Panel including Rebecca Lush (Transport Action Network); Simon Pirani (energy researcher, honorary professor at University of Durham); Izzet Hickmet (National Education Union / Labour for a Green New Deal); Sian Berry (London Assembly member, Green party); and Ruth Fitzharris (Mums for Lungs). Plenty of time for you to make points and ask questions
To cut carbon emissions fast enough, and to make our city a better place to live, London needs a sustainable transport policy based on public transport, plus support for cycling, walking and other zero-carbon modes. A good start would be to scrap the £2 billion + Silvertown tunnel project, which will produce more car and HGV traffic. Let’s work together for a zero-carbon transport system
A Stop the Silvertown Tunnel coalition event, part of London Climate Action Week
You need to register in advance, for free, for this event:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
□ Football fans please note. It is possible, but not very likely, that England will be involved in a game to be played at 5.0pm on Sunday 27 June. If that happens, this event will be rearranged for later in the evening.
□ More information about London Climate Action Week here. https://www.londonclimateactionweek.org/
05/06/2021 Click here to read our report on the march and view the gallery of images.
04/06/21 A letter sent to the London Sustainable Development Commission secretariat and commission members.
Our JustGiving appeal, please donate if you can.
We held a public webinar on Friday 4 December, 11.0am-12.15pm. A panel of expert speakers put the case for cancelling the tunnel, and a second panel of leading London politicians discussed better ways forward for transport in the capital.
Please Click Here to see our form letter to send to your local councillor, MP or GLA member. The page also includes help for finding their contact details. (31/10/2020)
NEW PRESS RELEASE (07/10/2020)
New flyer! Click here to view/download. (04/10/2020)
We are very pleased to share this new report calling for an urgent rethink on the Silvertown Tunnel.
– This report is published by the Transport Action Network, Stop the Silvertown Tunnel Coalition, Speak Out Woolwich and Extinction Rebellion Greenwich
– The report was drafted by Simon Pirani, author of Burning Up: A Global History of Fossil Fuel Consumption (2018) and Senior Research Fellow, Oxford Institute for Energy Studies
The New Economics Foundation, trade union and environmental campaign groups, prominent climate and transport experts are supportive of the report’s conclusions:
We recommend to the GLA and the Mayor of London:
– The Silvertown tunnel project should be cancelled, and the financial, management and other resources freed up directed primarily to projects that support reducing the number of trips required, and modal shift;
– Review and amend the modelling used for the London Environment Strategy, using a range of alternative tools, including the SCATTER tool developed by the Tyndall Centre for Climate Research;
– Review the London Environment Strategy in the light of these models;
– Review the Mayor’s Transport Strategy with a view to redirecting resources towards reducing the number of trips and modal shift, rather than reliance on electric, hydrogen and hybrid vehicles to achieve decarbonisation.
To local communities, campaign groups and political parties:
– Continue to campaign for the cancellation of the tunnel project, and for the re- direction of resources to policies that will effectively tackle global warming.
Please visit this page on the Transport Action Network to read the full report.